When arriving into Canada you are best off to buy a Canada sim card straight away. Don’t get stuck with crazy roaming costs as internet abroad when traveling can be extremely costly. In this guide I will tell you everything you need to know about buying a sim card at Toronto Airport. Also interesting for you could be my best sim card for Canada travel guide.
Being a full time world traveler and nomad since 2012 I constantly advice people to buy a local sim card when traveling. Therefore I already wrote more than 50 guides for buying international sim cards for tourists. For North America so far I wrote about the best Mexico sim card only, but in Europe I covered every country: UK, Ireland, Portugal, Italy and all other European countries.
More Related Articles
Buy a Canada sim card online
Another way to save money on roaming charges is to get your Canada sim card before your trip. The following Canada sim cards can be ordered online and will be shipped to your home address.
- 6 GB data all over Canada
- Valid for 15 days
- Price: $35.95
- 22 GB data in Canada, USA and Mexico
- Unlimited Calling/Texting
- Valid for 15 days
- 5 GB data all over Canada + Mexico
- Unlimited calls and sms to Canada, USA, Europe, Brazil and many more
- Valid for 15 days
- 30 GB data all over Canada
- Unlimited calls and sms to Canada, USA and Mexico
- Valid for 30 days
The above AT&T Smart Data X sim card for Canada is your best buy whenever planning a trip to Canada.
All the above sim cards will be shipped to your home address before your trip to Canada. They are already activated so you will be online as soon as the plane touches the ground. In case you don’t want to order your Canada sim card online, you can also buy a local sim card on arrival.
Arriving at Toronto Airport
Before my trip to Alberta and first landed at Toronto Airport. I had to collect my luggage before continuing my journey to Edmonton. First thing I did on arrival was checking out all the available Canada sim cards for tourists and unfortunately I came to the conclusion that there wasn’t that much on offer.
Where to buy a sim card at Toronto Airport
Toronto Airport is not a very modern airport and pretty chaotic. There are 2 places that sell Canada sim cards for tourists.
1. As soon as you walk out of Arrivals you will see a purple booth in front of you: Chatr. They have big signs saying: free sim card.
2. On your left hand side you can find the Currency Exchange which also sells sim cards for Canada.
I also inquired at other electronic shops and bookstores, but none of them were selling sim cards.
Prices Canada sim card at Toronto Airport in 2021
Chatr Toronto Airport
At Chatr they sell a couple different Canada sim card deals:
- $25 CAD: not worth mentioning!
- $35 CAD: 1 GB data + unlimited calling & texting in Canada.
- $40 CAD: 4 GB data + unlimited calling & texting in Canada.
- $50 CAD: 8 GB data + unlimited calling & texting in Canada and US.
BE AWARE: a Chatr sim card only gives you 3G SPEED! Chatr operates on the Roger Canada network.
I was like WHAT? Have you tried to use Instagram at 3G speed? This is 2021 Canada wake up! I have traveled to countries like Bangladesh, Pakistan, Gambia, etc. and everywhere they have 4G prepaid sim cards for tourists.
Sorry but Chatr is a NO-GO for me! I ain’t dealing with 3G anymore and I would not recommend anyone either.
Currency Exchange Toronto Airport
Here they sell 4 different prepaid sim cards for Canada. All 4 of them are displayed behind the glass and every package has a different color. All the prepaid sim cards are from Telus Canada.
- $45 CAD = 1 GB data - valid for 3 days - unlimited calling + sms in Canada + international sms.
- $67 CAD = 3 GB data - valid for 5 days - unlimited calling + sms in Canada + international sms.
- $84 CAD = 4 GB data - valid for 7 days - unlimited calling + sms in Canada + international sms.
- $96 CAD = 5 GB data - valid for 14 days - unlimited calling + sms in Canada + international sms.
Who buys a $45 sim card just for 1 day? Please people… I am writing this article for buying a sim card in Toronto Airport to help you!
Best sim card at Toronto Airport in 2021
A Chatr sim card gives you only 3G internet speed so I can never name that the best buy. Therefore I have to choose one of the Telus Canada sim cards they sell at the Currency Exchange. All these sim cards are extremely expensive and value for money is low.
Therefore I do NOT RECOMMEND you to buy a prepaid sim card for Canada at Toronto Airport.
You can best order a sim card for Canada online. I would suggest to buy a Canada sim card online or have a look at my article about the 7 best prepaid Canada sim cards for tourists.
Buy sim online for Canada online
This is your best buy and for $80 you get 30 GB data at 4G speed for 30 days. More options in the link! Also it will be send to your home address and don’t have to worry buying a sim card at Toronto airport on arrival.
Portable WiFi device for Canada
Another popular option to avoid roaming costs is to get a Teppy. This portable WiFi device from TEP Wireless lets you connect up to 5 devices at the same time and gives you unlimited internet per day for a couple bucks. Click on the link above or the banner below for more info.
Canada travel blogs
Still having questions then please leave me a message below.
Enjoy your trip to Toronto, Canada.